If you are injured in a motorcycle accident in Decatur or Huntsville, Alabama, you may be unsure of what to expect when your accident lawsuit is filed. Experienced Alabama motorcycle accident lawyers will be able to answer any specific questions you might have about your case, but the following chronology will provide an overview as to how a motorcycle civil suit normally proceeds after your attorneys file suit in Decatur or Huntsville, Alabama.

  • A motorcycle injury action arising from a vehicle accident will begin with a Complaint, usually accompanied by a Summons. A Complaint is a legal document that lays out the claims that the Plaintiff (the person or business bringing the lawsuit) has against the Defendant (the person or business being sued).
  • The Defendant has to answer within a certain time (usually about thirty or forty-five days). The Answer says what portions of the Complaint, if any, the defendant admits to, what the Defendant contests, what defenses the Defendant may have, and whether the Defendant has claims against the Plaintiff or any other party.
  • If the Defendant doesn’t answer the Complaint, the court may enter a default judgment against the Defendant. If the Answer contains a Counterclaim (against the Plaintiff) or a Third-party Complaint, the party against whom that claim is made also has to answer within a certain time.
  • The parties exchange documents related to the car accident, motorcycle accident, or trucking accident and other information about the issues relevant to the litigation, by a process called Discovery. Discovery can take four forms: written Admissions, written Interrogatories which must be answered under oath; document production; and Depositions, which are formally transcribed and sworn statements taken in front of a court reporter or other court officer.
  • The parties can voluntarily resolve all their issues through Alternate Dispute Resolution such as mediation or a negotiated settlement. The parties can also agree to binding arbitration. Some counties, states, and federal courts require litigants to go through alternative dispute resolution in some form.
  • In many cases, one or both of the parties will try to get rid of the case, or a portion of it, by Motion For Summary Judgment or some other Motion. Basically, the parties present to the court those issues that are not in dispute, either because the parties agree as to the facts, or because application of the law to the facts dictates a result.
  • If the parties do not reach an agreement, and if the matter is not disposed of by motion, the case will go to Trial. In most civil cases, either party can choose to have a jury.
  • At trial, the attorneys present evidence and arguments for each side, and the judge or jury decides the unresolved issues. Once the judge or jury has reached a decision, the judge will order that Judgment be entered for the party who wins.
  • Either or both parties can Appeal a judge’s decision to a higher court, but it’s unusual for an appeals court to overturn a judge’s decision. Also, remember that settlements usually cannot be appealed if both parties agree to their terms.

It’s hard to say how long all these steps will take in your particular case. Motorcycle accidents in Huntsville, Cullman, Decatur, Birmingham and Scottsboro normally take up to two years to get to trial. Cases in Atlanta, Nashville, and Chattanooga can take up to three years to get to court. The entire process can take from as little as a few months, to as long as a few years. Generally speaking, the less money at stake, and the more issues that can be resolved before trial, the smoother and faster the lawsuit will go. If you need help in your motorcycle accident case, call us now. Call 256-534-3435


Interested in discussing?

    Quick Contact


      Have you or a loved one been seriously injured or killed in a motorcycle accident in Huntsville or Decatur, Alabama? Are the bills piling up, and the insurance company is giving you the run around? Do you have questions? As experienced motorcycle lawyers, we understand how being out of work and without transportation, and having unpaid medical bills can effect you.

      Call Us

      Phone: (256) 534-3435


      303 Williams Avenue SW, Suite 321

      Copyright ©2021 Alabamamotorcyclelawyers. All Rights Reserved| Designed & Developed by webb4biz